For me, a gift is not a gift if I don’t make it or at least enhance it in a creative way. This year was a challenge because I’m living in my mom’s tiny house, no space of my own, no workspace. So I knew I couldn’t sew or make any type of craft this year, just too hard. Next option was to cook something but my mom’s kitchen is a challenge — no working oven and very limited space.
My solution is Christmas Bark — melted chocolate with flavorings. It’s very easy, too easy for me so it doesn’t feel like I’m being creative enough, but it’s a nice gift.
I made four kinds of bark but the possibilities are endless:
- Dark Chocolate Espresso (see above photos)
- Chocolate Blueberry Almond
- Chocolate with Toffee and Coconut
- White Chocolate with Peppermint (Candy Canes – see pic of smashing the canes)
- Basic the steps are to gather the flavorings. All should be rough chopped not ground fine so that they add texture as well as flavor.
- Melt the chocolate
- Mix in the flavorings
- Pour on cookie sheet covered with wax paper
- Break into pieces