This is a recipe for Indian Bread Stuffed with Potatoes, also called Aloo Paratha. I made this to bring to where we had Thanksgiving. It was a hit!
Once again, this recipe is inspired from this book:
Aloo Paratha (Indian Stuffed Bread)
This is easier to make than one would think and so tasty.
Recipe type: Bread
- 2 cups Whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil or Ghee if available
- ¾ Water or enough to mix into a stretchy dough
- 1 cup cube potatoes
- 2 tbsp minced Cilantro
- 1 tsp Mango powder or a pinch of Cinnamon if not available
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ¼ tsp Tumeric
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Boil potatoes with pinch of salt and Tumeric
- Prepare the dough by mixing flour, salt, water and oil to form an elastic dough. divide into 2" balls. Cover for 10 minutes
- Drain liquid from potatoes and mash
- Mix Cilantro and remain spices into potatoes.
- Take a ball of dough and on a lightly floured surface, roll out to ⅛" thick disk
- Place a small amount of potato filling in the middle of the rolled dough, about 1 tbsp, and fold the sides over the filling. Gently roll out the dough again.
- Cook bread on a lightly greased hot griddle, turning once
Great served with a raita of yogurt mixed with spices and cucumber
Pingback: Food is Sacred, Food is Love | Amor y Sabor (Love + Flavor)