Mediterranean Baked Stuffed Eggplant
Pair this dish with Mediterranean sides like whole-grain couscous.
Recipe type: Main dish
- 1 large purple eggplant cut in half
- 2 pork sausages, skin removed (bratwurst size) minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 cup minced flat parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup lowfat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup whole grain couscous (rice or bread crumbs can be substituted)
- Salt and pepper
- Scoop out eggplant, being careful not to cut through the skin, to ¼ width
- Chop eggplant, toss with 1 tsp olive oil and pinch of salt
- Saute onions in another tsp of oil, when glassy, add eggplant
- Saute for 5 minutes until soft, add sausages and tomato and cook for another 10 minutes on low heat
- Remove from heat and mix in: feta, parsley and couscous until well blended.
- Coat a baking dish with remainder of oil and place eggplant halves inside.
- Fill eggplants and top with cheddar.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese has melted and browned.
For a vegetarian version, substitute chopped mushrooms for pork sausages.