Indian Spiced Potato Patties
This a a great recipe that is easy to make and to vary. Similar to latkes but with a different taste. Can be a snack by itself, served with chutney or even ketchup, a part of a brunch, or a side dish. The hot tip is soaking the potatoes first in water first. This removes some of the potato starch first and the potatoes cook faster and crispier. This is true for oven fries as well.
- 3 medium to large white potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup wheat flour
- ½ tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- Grate the white and sweet potato. Soak in water with 1 tsp salt. Water should cover potatoes completely for 12-20 minutes. Drain well, pressing down on the potatoes if necessary.
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Grate onion (can be done with a food processor with grater attachment) and add to drained potatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. The mixture should be clumpy but not too runny.
- Spray cookie sheets with oil. Spoon potatoes onto cookie sheet.
- Bake patties for approximately 20 minutes, turning once, until browned.