I have always eaten healthy (most of the time anyways) but lately, in my effort to slim down, I have really been put to the test. My trainer currently has me on what he calls a fuel/fire cycle. On the fuel days I keep my calories under 1300 and my carbs under 90. That’s enough of a challenge once you realize that everything has carbs practically — even lettuce! But on my fire days it’s even harder because he wants me to keep my carbs under 35. So obviously I don’t eat any direct carbs like bread, pasta, rice, etc. but just finding tasty meals that I can enjoy is difficult.
Here is a recipe I came up with that is very tasty while being very low carb — only 7 grams of carbs per serving — so eat up! For a Lean & Green meal, eliminate the onions and use just yogurt to mix.
- one can of albacore tuna packed in water, drained or chicken breast
- 3 stalks of celery minced
- half a medium red onion minced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tbsp regular mayonaise
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp horseradish
- 1 tbsp 2% FAGE greek yogurt (the yummiest in my opinion)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Haas avocado cubed small
- bib lettuce
- Mix all ingredients through salt an pepper
- scoop mixture into the bib lettuce
- top with cubed avocado
- (a dash of hot sauce is great for a kick and color or just dust with paprika)