Above: My son Marcos, diving into a bite of the cooked chicken.
Oven-Fried Spicy Chicken
This a great, low-fat version of fried chicken with an Indian spice kick.
Recipe type: Main course
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces, fat trimmed and skin removed
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ lime squeezed
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¾ c white flour
- ½ c lowfat buttermilk
- 2 c rice crispies or panko coating
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp poppy seeds
- In a baking dish, put the first 8 ingredients (chicken - oil) and mix well with your hands so that the chicken is complete coated. Let sit for 30 min.
- Put the flour in a plastic bag.
- Pour the buttermilk in a shallow pan.
- Grind the seeds: coriander, peppercorns, poppy with a mortar and pestle. Add a dash of salt if desired.
- Put rice crispies in a bag (if using panko skip this step) and crush. Pour rice crispies into another shallow pan and mix with the ground seeds.
- Take piece of chicken and put it in the bag, turning it to fully coat. Shake off excess flour.
- Dip flour coated chicken into a pan with the lowfat buttermilk and coat thoroughly.
- Then dip chicken into the rice crispie mixture and coat. Place on greased baking pan.
- Cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and then reduce heat to 375 for 25-30 minutes.