Ode to Cranberry
Photo above: Cranberry syrup on vanilla pancakes
I love cranberries and they are not just for Thanksgiving! Here are two recipes that work together and highlight this lovely flavor.
- 3 bags of fresh cranberries (approximately 9 cups)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups water
- In a deep saucepan, cook the cranberries, sugar and water on medium heat until the cranberries are soft, about 12 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Run cranberries through a food mill over a bowl, or puree in a food processor and strain through a sieve. Save cranberry pulp and set aside.
- Store in canning jars.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cardamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp chopped, unsalted pistachios
- 1 egg
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk
- cranberry pulp saved from syrup recipe, approx 1.5 cups or low sugar cranberry sauce strained
- .5 cup brown sugar
- .25 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Sift dry ingredients
- Beat egg in separate bowl, add buttermilk, sugar, cranberries, oil
- Mix in dry ingredients
- Spoon into pre-greased muffin tin