Above: Cook it down, stirring frequently
Indian Fried Okra
Finished dish is almost unrecognizable but full of spicy goodness
Recipe type: Side dish
- 1 lb Fresh okra sliced thin width-wise (little circles), tops cut off
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 1 Medium cuban or banana pepper (not spicy) chopped or medium tomato de-seeded
- 1 Hot chili minced
- 2 Tbsp oil
- ground mustard and coriander seed
- other Indian Spices to taste
- Cook it down, stirring frequently
- Best cooked in a large cast-iron frying pan. The objective is to cook down the okra while mixing frequently, until all the 'slime' of the okra is cooked away and the okra is reduced by 80 percent.
- First saute the onion and chili in the oil, add the ground seeds, medium-high heat. Add the okra and Indian Spices and cook for 25 minutes stirring frequently'