Butternut Tomato Bisque
You have to use all fresh ingredients to get the right taste.
Recipe type: Soup
- 4 medium tomatoes chopped (approximately 5 cups)
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 leek sliced thin (white and pale green parts only) or 4 scallions
- 1 tbsp white miso (available at most asian markets)
- ½ tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 tsp ghee (clarified butter) or olive oil
- fresh ground pepper and a dash of hot sauce to garnish
- Heat the oil in a ceramic covered cast-iron pot (works best) or other stewpot
- Add salt and tumeric
- Saute the leek or scallions until transparent
- Add the tomatoes and cook down for 10-15 minutes on medium-high heat
- add butternut squash, miso and 6 cups water (chicken stock is optional but not necessary if the ingredients are fresh)
- Cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook down for one hour
- Using an immersion blender or in batches with a regular blender, blend until smooth. If you are a purist, pass through a strainer and return to pot.
- Add the can of milk, turn off heat and stir.